Russell Emerson Hall
More than fifteen years experience in user-experience design and front-end technologies. Seeking a position in an open, collaborative environment where I can solve problems using my experience and deep commitment to user-centered design.
- User-experience and interface design.
- Navigation and information-architecture design.
- Presentation-layer development (FET).
- Technical and editorial writing and editing.
- Sound design and video production.
- Wordpress templating
- PHP (including CodeIgniter framework)
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Built various components of a video CMS application hosted on Amazon cloud services. Designed and built an AJAX-driven company status board displaying disparate data sources. Extensive use of HTML5, XML/XSLT, jQuery, and PHP CodeIgniter framework.
- Led user-experience efforts for a small tech startup. Iterated design, testing, and development of RIAs in an agile environment. Created sketches, workflows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes for enhancements and new applications. Worked closely with product strategists and engineering team. Spearheaded development of user personas to prioritize product roadmap. Spent time coding Laszlo and SOAP front-end. Built and maintained corporate web site, blog, widgets, and product walk-through videos.
- Led user-experience and production team for a mid-sized direct retailer and content provider. Projects included complete re-architecture of an e-commerce site, complete redesign of a site to support retail-store presence, and implementation of enterprise search across e-commerce and content sites. These projects involved concept refinement, requirements gathering, information architecture, user testing, and production; they required close coordination with visual designers, back-end developers, and business partners. Coded UI proof-of-concepts, fostered awareness of the user-experience discipline, and championed standards compliance, accessibility, and search-engine optimization.
- Led presentation-layer phase of knowledge-transfer effort to prepare client staff for application maintenance. Training included various front-end technologies and tools in one-on-one and classroom sessions for up to six employees.
- Designed and built interface for loan-maintenance web application. Project involved creating Netscape Application Server (Kiva) templates to produce HTML output. Special attention devoted to cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Planned and implemented web interfaces for an academic research center's services and functions: site delivering real-time meteorological data, help system for large data-warehouse system, and departmental newsletter.
- Wrote and edited software documentation, feature articles, and promotional materials.
- User Experience Developer
Broadcast Interactive Media, Madison, WI. Oct.2010 – present
- Director of User Experience
Networked Insights, Madison, WI. November 2007 to August 2010.
- Senior User Experience Designer
American Girl, Middleton, WI. November 2005 to November 2007.
- Application Developer/Senior Staff Analyst
Compuware, Madison, WI. June 1998 to November 2005.
- Associate Editor/Technical Writer
Space Science and Engineering, UW-Madison. February 1995 to May 1998.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Technical Communication Certificate, 1994. Engineering Professional Development.
- Bachelor of Arts, 1986. Journalism.
- 7043 Lake Road DeForest WI 53532